London Fire Brigade was called to a maisonette fire on Worsopp Drive in Clapham yesterday (Tuesday, August 29) at 11.15am.
Part of a split-level maisonette on the fourth and fifth floors of the building was damaged by the fre and the balcony was destroyed.
A woman was assessed at the scene by London Ambulance Service.
Fire crews believe the cause was accidental and that the fire was caused by smoking materials.
The blaze was under control by around 12pm.
A spokesperson for London Fire Brigade said: “If you’re a smoker, it’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.
“If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life.”
They added: “Firefighters are warning smokers to dispose of cigarettes carefully after a maisonette fire on Worsopp Drive in Clapham yesterday.
“Part of a split-level maisonette on the fourth and fifth floors of the building was damaged by fire and the balcony was destroyed.
“One woman was assessed at the scene by London Ambulance Service crews.
“The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by smoking materials.
“The brigade was called at 11.15am and the fire was under control by 12.06pm.
“Fire crews from Brixton, Battersea, Tooting and West Norwood fire stations attended the scene.”
Smoking safety top tips from London Fire Brigade
- It’s safe to smoke outside, but make sure cigarettes are put right out and disposed of properly.
- Never smoke in bed and avoid smoking on arm chairs and sofas – especially if you think you might fall asleep.
- Take extra care when you’re tired, taking perscription drugs or if you’ve been drinking alcohol.
- Use proper ash trays which can’t tip over and stub cigarettes out properly.