Man who planned attack on Pride jailed in Woolwich

A man who planned to attack the Pride parade was sentenced to life in prison at Woolwich Crown Court today (July 9).

29-year-old Mohiussunnath Chowdhury of Luton unknowingly told undercover officers of his plans to launch a terrorist attack after being previously acquitted for a similar offence.

Police described how he had divulged wishes to carry out attacks on unsuspecting victims and had distributed terroristic materials online.

The 29-year-old was sentenced to serve a minimum of 25 years behind bars for preparing acts of terrorism.

He was previously acquitted of planning an attack in 2018, and soon began activities that ultimately led to his conviction today, as a spokesperson for the Met Police described:

“An unsuspecting Mohiussunnath Chowdhury not only confessed to officers that he was considering targeting crowded central London tourist attractions and the Pride in London event, but even sought advice on obtaining a real gun from a covert officer using the name ‘Mikael’.

This Is Local London:

“He thought Mikael shared his aspirations to murder innocent people and told the officer that, contrary to his claims of innocence in his previous trial, he had in fact intended to kill soldiers but succeeded in “deceiving” the jury who found him not guilty,” they said.

“He also told them of a dream he had, that he and a prison inmate carried out an attack on an open-top bus, which police believe was in fact something Chowdhury was planning to do,” the Met added.

Chowdhury and 25-year-old sister were arrested together on July 3, 2019, days before Pride in London.

The Met said that Chowdhury had told her that he was “doing another attack”, and asking her for help to practice stabbing people – information she did not report to the police.

The 25-year-old Luton woman will be sentenced for failing to disclose information regarding terrorist activity on a date yet to be set.

This Is Local London | News