Car thief arrested after police pursuit in south east London

A serial car thief has had his string of criminal offences abruptly ended after a high speed police persuit across north Kent and south east London.

Cobaine Holden, 23, was tracked to Greenhithe after stealing two cars from a home, but accelerated away from police around 50mph over the speed limit.

He was pursued by Kent Police and Met Police officers, as well as the National Police Air Service, before being detained in Eltham after he reversed into a streetlight.

Holden, of Timberleys, Littlehampton, was arrested at the wheel of the stolen vehicle, and has this week been sentenced to three years and six months’ imprisonment.

This Is Local London:

Detective Constable Richard Sears, from Kent Police’s Chief Constable’s Crime Squad, said: “Holden has proven himself to be a prolific offender who is prepared to break into people’s home while they sleep.

“He has caused significant distress to each of the victims and has further demonstrated his bad character by choosing to endanger himself, pursuing officers and other road users when he was caught in a stolen car.”

Sears added that the fact he was seen carrying a knife during some of his offences only aggravates the case against him, and the detective said he had no doubt that Holden would have continued to offend if he hadn’t been brought to justice.

The police pursuit occured during lockdown, on April 23, after Holden and an accomplice had stolen two cars from a home in Twydall.

Kent Police tracked them both remotely, and then tried to stop the pair on London Road, Greenhithe.

Both cars fled, with Holden accelerated away towards south east London at around 90mph.

He reversed into a streetlight while trying to evade the pursuing officers, and was arrested in Eltham.

This Is Local London:

A teenage boy was also arrested following the pursuit of the second car and has been charged with burglary and aggravated vehicle taking.

He has admitted these offences and will be sentenced on a later date.

Following Holden’s arrest, police have now linked him to other burglaries in Gillingham on April 12.

The criminal was caught on CCTV carrying a knife and targeting several properties in the early hours, and stealing two parked cars.

The 23-year-old pleaded guilty at Maidstone Crown Court to three counts of burglary, two counts of theft of motor vehicle, two attempted burglaries, aggravated vehicle taking and possessing a knife in a public place.

On Monday 20 July 2020 he was sentenced to three years and six months’ imprisonment.

This Is Local London | News